Last year I posted a reflection on Samhain, and what it had to do with the Celtic Soul I seem to have. In the back of my mind was a poem I had written to help a friend who “didn’t get” Halloween to appreciate it better. A few weeks ago, I opened that journal and the page fell open to the poem, which I had nearly forgotten. As it turns out my friend had resurfaced the poem recently as well. I think it’s high time it saw the light of day, so the rest of you could read it as well. I realize some may consider it “derivative” of John O’Donohue’s practice of delivering blessings, but my friend is the only other person I know who’s savored read his fine book Anam Ċara. So on this Halloween, when the veil between the worlds is thin, and we reap the rich harvest of memory, I wish you blessings.
Beannacht a Samhain
As the moon climbs high over
field and vine stripped bare,
May you plant spring’s sweet shoots
in the fecund dark.
May your adornment obscure you
from those who would harm.
As your wealth returns from the
And your rich harvest is
May what keeps you from sweet memory be as thin as
a stretched womb.
May you give from your fullness
and receive according to your need.
As you gather with others,
may the flame purify
All under your roof, and
rekindle your own hearth.
May the ripe seeds of your intention
Await warmth and light.
Here is one account of the history of some of the practices mentioned in the poem. These are not just words to me. For instance, like the ancients, I am just now completing a seasonal 21 day cleanse. Blessings of Samhain!
- Samhain 2013: Facts, Dates, Traditions, And Rituals To Know (completehealthcircle.com)
- Celebrating Samhain (nokkensong.wordpress.com)
- ~A Poem for Samhain~ (mysticalmoonstar.wordpress.com)
- Action! Action! Samhain (gaypaganuk.wordpress.com)
- Samhain/ Halloween (prankstercat.wordpress.com)
- Blessed Samhain & Happy Halloween (delilahdoodles.wordpress.com)
- Happy Halloween aka Samhain (mamahugsuk.wordpress.com)
- USA: Lisa Thiel – Samhain Song (jobblog2011.wordpress.com)
- MYTHICAL CALENDAR: SAMHAIN EVE, VEIL, HALLOW’s EVE, SEKHMET, BASTET, RA, SAMHAIN BEGINS : OCTOBER 31 (chscarlett.wordpress.com)
- Samhain: Journey on the Ghost Road. (elephantjournal.com)